Skip to main content

News

Topic: What's your editing process? (Read 213 times) previous topic - next topic

• MiraDay
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator

What's your editing process?
Hey guys!

So I've read many different ways people go about their drafts. I read one person who says it takes her three years between all the beta reading and editing! Three years!?

With Playing House (my first baby!), I sent a pretty rough draft to my editor. I'm pretty sure she wanted to kill me. Fortunately for me, we go waaaay back. And she lives far enough away that the only thing I felt were her dagger glares through email  :))

With this second book, I'm trying to do a better job of editing and getting proper feedback before sending it to her for torture..er..formatting and editing. I've had two Alpha readers and a few critiques for the 1st draft. 2nd draft is out to Betas. I have at least 5 people from all different writing and reading backgrounds. Pretty excited to see what they have to say. I'm hoping to get it back in the next few weeks.

What do you do for your editing process? How many groups of betas do you go through before you send it off?

Re: What's your editing process?
Reply #1
I like in-person writing groups where I trust the others who are in the group. Ideally we're all about the same level in our careers, but we all have different strengths. Finding such groups are hard, though. Egos get in the way so often! I just can't do the online critique groups, as much as I have tried. I need the live interaction to ask questions, expand on what others are saying, etc. Maybe a video-chat group would work?

So right now my editing process is to show the final to the cats. If they don't tear it apart, I move forward.  :D
I write stories focused on strong women and the men they choose.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

• MiraDay
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator

Reply #2
I like it! Cats are hard to please

And great idea of video-chats for critiquing! Possible future set-up between a few of us?

Reply #3
Video-chats could be a great monthly critiquing session.

Question: How do you placate your editor when you send such rough drafts? [or] Do you (or anyone) do anything for your editors when they go above and beyond? Just curious.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

• MiraDay
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator

Reply #4
I beg her forgiveness!

Reply #5
LOL and how's that working for you so far?

• MiraDay
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator

Reply #6
She hasn't killed me yet AND is willing to do my second book <3

Reply #7
My editing process is:
Rough draft
Less rough draft
Smoother, but not smooth draft  ;)
Send smoother draft to critique partner
Get few chapters back--hate myself
Get more chapters back- hate myself more  :P
Get all chapters back--set off to rewrite and consider new profession
Rewrite and make changes
Send back to critique partner
Get more comments--declare profession change
Critique partner talks me off ledge  >:(
Make changes
Send final manuscript off to publisher
If accepted...
Goes to their editor
Editor sends 1st round edits--don't want to even open email
Look at edits--think "Oh, that's not bad"
Start accepting edits and find out it IS that bad  :o
Send back first accepted edits.
Get 2nd round edits--think of hiring someone to open the email
Look at edits--read, smile, read some more, smile.  8)
Accept all edits and send back to publisher.
Done.
Hope that's clear. :-) 
Love addict with a sarcastic pink glow. Martini connoisseur, fuzzy sock collector, baseball fanatic & pro-dandelion. And an author--I always forget that one.
http://www.julesdixon.com

Reply #8
Funny @JulesDixon --- all but the "hate myself" parts  >:(

Reply #9
I edit as I write. It's awful and probably why I haven't published yet, even though I started 10 years ago. I hate everything I write. And I can't afford an editor, so I depend on myself for catching mistakes. I've sent parts to trusted friends, but they're readers who don't recognize all the mistakes. I did recently print off everything I have written for my current WIP and found that it's easier to edit a hard copy rather than a copy on the computer.