Skip to main content

News

Topic: Indie, Trad, or Hybrid? (Read 199 times) previous topic - next topic

Indie, Trad, or Hybrid?
I know, can of worms here, but I would like to hear the pros and cons of indie publishing vs. working with a publisher vs. doing some combination of the two. Pitfalls to consider also welcome.

I am of the belief that choosing a publishing path is a very personal decision, so I hope that the comments remain respectful and positive.  TIA.   ;D
I write stories focused on strong women and the men they choose.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

Re: Indie, Trad, or Hybrid?
Reply #1
I am currently hybrid, and as far as I can see, I'll stay that way. Here's why:
1. I am not good at choosing/envisioning covers. My publisher does a great job of covers, their artist is talented--and obviously they don't cost me a cent.
2. My publisher has a loyal reader following in the romance genre. Their readers devour books and ask for more.
3. I like to write, but all the other stuff isn't my forte and can be quite costly and time consuming. Having them figuring out the editing, formatting, publishing, pricing, (some) promotions, and more, frees me up to do what I love doing.
4. I don't have an outlay of $ for the above parts of non-writing/publishing. Yes, I realize I make less per sale, but honestly, the tradeoff is worth it for me.
I'm sure more reasons will come to me, but these are the ones that jump out.
And I too agree that there is not one road for each person.
Great question, made me think.
Jules
Love addict with a sarcastic pink glow. Martini connoisseur, fuzzy sock collector, baseball fanatic & pro-dandelion. And an author--I always forget that one.
http://www.julesdixon.com

Reply #2
So you've outlined all the pros of going with a publisher. How/why do you incorporate self-pubbing?
I write stories focused on strong women and the men they choose.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

Reply #3
On the advice of my guru/mentor/Yoda/writing friend, I did a short series of short male/male romances for the holidays at the end of last year. I leveraged the short story readership that Amazon has in their Kindle Unlimited readers to get my name out there with some new readers. It worked. One of the titles was a category best seller and one has outsold # copies wise any other title I have in my backlist. There are definitely reasons to keep self-publishing and I'll do another at least three-part series this holiday again. My reasoning is to keep my readers happy with new books, to build new readers, and this method hopefully leads to other purchases. I'm not saying it'll work for everyone, or is for every writer, but it's my way. Thanks for asking, +CorrissaJames
Love addict with a sarcastic pink glow. Martini connoisseur, fuzzy sock collector, baseball fanatic & pro-dandelion. And an author--I always forget that one.
http://www.julesdixon.com