Skip to main content

News

Topic: First romance book/author you ever read? (Read 235 times) previous topic - next topic

First romance book/author you ever read?
Just curious. What book/author first got you hooked on romance? For me, it was Brave the Wild Wind, by Johanna Lindsey (set in the west -- shocker!)

A close second would be Sandra Brown (particularly her Texas trilogy and Fat Tuesday).

Hmm, I am seeing a trend here.

What about you?
I write stories focused on strong women and the men they choose.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

Re: First romance book/author you ever read?
Reply #1
I don't have a first book story, since I can't remember back that far. 🤔 What I do remember is being six or seven and sitting in bed next to my mother as she read at night. She had her Harlequin Romance book and I had mine. I know what you're thinking, but you see, my mother was a speed reader, and as sat next to her I was bound and determined to keep up with her, so every time she turned a page, so did I. It wasn't until I was in the 3rd grade that she took them away from me because I started asking questions about some of the things I was reading. 😉 When my mom was sick with dementia 38 years later, but was still reading, I hopped on her bed and started  reading with her. She didn't recognize me, but she told me she used to read with her daughter in bed at nights when she was a little girl. She's been gone 5 years and I have yet to pick up a book. I only read digital. Sappy, I know. Sorry. 😥
Concentrate on what you do best, not on what others do to try to best you.
🖊💗📚💚📝💜

Reply #2
My mom was a speed reader too, and I have a similar story about reading her books and having them taken away...but I was reading The Omen. Sorry you lost your mom, but so glad you have such wonderful memories <3
I write stories focused on strong women and the men they choose.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

Reply #3
I don't really remember the first romance I read unless you count reading Sweet Valley High books.  I remember reading a lot of Johanna Lindsey and Christine Feehan.

Reply #4
I think the first romance I ever read was Anne of Green Gables.
As I mentioned in my intro post, I didn't like reading when I was younger, but there were a few times that I enjoyed a movie so much that I went and bought the book the movie was based on.

Reply #5
To tell the truth I wasn't a big fan of romances. Just took "Playing with fire" by Kate Meader to kill some time and this one was my first one :)

Reply #6
I read hundreds of Harlequins in my teen years, but can't remember a single title name or author. But in my adult years, after an absence from reading due to parenting our children, I picked up a Kindle and on a recommendation from Amazon, bought Jay Crownover's Marked Men first book, Rule and couldn't stop reading after that. I love New Adult romance and male/male romances the most now, but contemporary and contemporary cowboy pull up right behind those first two genres. Great question @CorrissaJames .
Love addict with a sarcastic pink glow. Martini connoisseur, fuzzy sock collector, baseball fanatic & pro-dandelion. And an author--I always forget that one.
http://www.julesdixon.com

Reply #7
For me, I think it was A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. Then it was The Notebook. Those were a little too sappy for me, so @MiraDay introduced me to Jane Green. And it was a beautiful beginning to a relationship with romance.

• MiraDay
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator

Reply #8
Yep... Jane Green (back when it was called chick lit :D) Bookends was the title. After that, I fell in love with Jemima J and To Have and to Hold.