Skip to main content

News

Topic: How's it going? (Read 136 times) previous topic - next topic

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

How's it going?
How's everyone doing?

I'm frustrated with and annoyed by the web hosting company I use for Romance Alley. I don't know if you all noticed, but the server went down a couple of hours ago for an hour or more. This is at least the third time that has happened in the last 4-5 weeks. Last time, it lasted for several hours. Luckily it was late night/early morning.
Look what I can do with my sig.

This sig is so refreshing!

Can I bum a sig?

Other sig puns. Because it's a signature. Get it?

Re: How's it going?
Reply #1
That sucks. I hope they get their crap together. I haven't noticed anything like that though. I've been trying to check back regularly, but I seem to be talking to myself :/

Reply #2
Also, I'm doing alright. Gearing up for a paintball game this weekend. Yippie. Which is dripping with sarcasm. This heat is no joke.

How've you been, Boss?

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #3
That sucks. I hope they get their crap together. I haven't noticed anything like that though. I've been trying to check back regularly, but I seem to be talking to myself :/

I hope they do too. I have other sites hosted on the same server, so when the server goes down, they all go down. I'm looking at upgrading from a shared server to a private server, but it's not inexpensive. Yeah, things have slowed down a little this past week or so, but that's probably at least partly my fault. I'm working on a new web site, so I haven't had the time to be as active in promoting discussion here. As more people sign up, the forum should become continually more self sufficient in terms of discussion, so we just need to continue to get the word out.

Can I bum a sig?

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #4
Also, I'm doing alright. Gearing up for a paintball game this weekend. Yippie. Which is dripping with sarcasm. This heat is no joke.

How've you been, Boss?

Haha, paintball is fun, but this is the worst time of year for it in the south. I can't imagine trying to enjoy paintball in this heat and humidity.

Server and hosting issues aside, all is well. I live in a first world country and have food and shelter. I shouldn't complain.  ;)

Can I bum a sig?

Reply #5

I hope they do too. I have other sites hosted on the same server, so when the server goes down, they all go down. I'm looking at upgrading from a shared server to a private server, but it's not inexpensive. Yeah, things have slowed down a little this past week or so, but that's probably at least partly my fault. I'm working on a new web site, so I haven't had the time to be as active in promoting discussion here. As more people sign up, the forum should become continually more self sufficient in terms of discussion, so we just need to continue to get the word out.
I will do my best to share about it on Facebook and also make more posts. I think this could really be a great place for authors and readers to interact.

Reply #6

How've you been, Boss?

Haha, paintball is fun, but this is the worst time of year for it in the south. I can't imagine trying to enjoy paintball in this heat and humidity.

Server and hosting issues aside, all is well. I live in a first world country and have food and shelter. I shouldn't complain.  ;)
I will not be playing. That's the husband's thing. I'll be taking photos, hopefully away from the majority of players. They hurt a lot and I'm in the worst possible shape to try and run from flying balls.

Indeed, we are very lucky to have the lives we do, even if we forget that sometimes.

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #7

I will do my best to share about it on Facebook and also make more posts. I think this could really be a great place for authors and readers to interact.

Thanks, and yes, it definitely could be!

Can I bum a sig?

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #8

How've you been, Boss?

I will not be playing. That's the husband's thing. I'll be taking photos, hopefully away from the majority of players. They hurt a lot and I'm in the worst possible shape to try and run from flying balls.

Indeed, we are very lucky to have the lives we do, even if we forget that sometimes.

Well, at least you won't be playing. It shouldn't be too bad in that case, provided you don't get caught in a rainstorm or something, haha.

I forget it all the time, but then, I forget everything all the time.  :o
  • Last Edit: Jun 19, 16, 09:32:17 AM by The Boss

Can I bum a sig?

Reply #9
What hosting do you use, if you don't mind me asking? I've been using Surpass Hosting for a good number of years. Granted, I haven't updated my site in awhile (though it's still online) but I do use my domain emails.

I'm doing all right. Got myself some poison ivy on my chest though which is annoying. LOL And I got an email today from the extras casting company about some possible work for next Tuesday on the TV show Outsiders. Just waiting to hear back from them as to whether I'll be booked for it.

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #10
Well I use Arvixe, which used to be a quite reputable company. A big part of the problem is that a mega corporation called Endurance International Group (EIG) has bought a large amount of web hosts over the last couple of years, and I've read that many of them have gone way downhill since being purchase by EIG. Server space is oversold, causing servers to run slowly and much more server downtime to occur. Customer service has gone out the window at these companies, so it's like pulling teeth to try to get any issues resolved. HostGator and Bluehost are among the others which have been purchased, but it's a total of around 50 hosting companies in all. Bluehost is supposedly still performing well under EIG, but I've read numerous accounts that HostGator has really gone downhill recently.

EIG purchased Arvixe about 8 months ago or so, and since then, I've had numerous issues that I never had with them in the past. After raising absolute hell about it and contacting people further and further up the chain of command, I've finally started getting some attention from people at Arvixe who can do something about these things. Their person in charge of support operations phoned me last week in an effort to begin resolving things, and had one of his head IT guys phone me the following day. My server went down again 2 days later though.

I've considered changing hosting providers,, and looked around at some that aren't owned by EIG, particularly SiteGround, which is where I've decided I'll go if I leave Arvixe. However, now that I have contacts who actually have the power to get things done, I'm a little more inclined to stick around and see how things play out.

I'm not familiar with Surpass, but it doesn't appear to be owned by EIG, so that's probably a plus.

How'd you come in contact with poison ivy?

Why does every other post I write turn into a dissertation?
  • Last Edit: Jun 19, 16, 01:24:15 PM by The Boss

Can I bum a sig?

Reply #11
Bluehost has gone downhill as well. My sites used to never go offline (unless there was server maintenance of some sort, which we were told about in advance). Now they go down on average 2-5 times a week for 10-30 mins at a time. During one period, they went down every day for a month. I contacted customer support and was told to do a traceroute and send them the info, which I did. It took them a week to respond, at which time they only said "Fixed it." Two days later, my sites went down again. I contacted them again and after 30 days (during which time the sites continued to go down), I received a message that "sites periodically go down on all servers" and I was welcome to look elsewhere for service.  :o Seriously?! I've been on BH for 5 years and have only had two issues that required contacting customer support. The first issue was several years ago and they were all over it, even offering me all sorts of services for free bc the issue was on their server (although they didn't mess up -- it was another customer on a shared server that was doing something and BH took action immediately and decisively). So I used to love BH and recommend them highly. Now they just kinda disgust me. 
I write stories focused on strong women and the men they choose.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

Reply #12
Probably about the only hosting I've heard of from what you've mentioned is HostGator. But that really sucks that EIG is buying out a lot of them only to not be particularly reliable.
I'm glad to hear that you've finally been able to get in contact with someone willing and able to help you though.

As for the poison ivy, I was weed eating the steep slope of property in front of my house and I pretty much get rained on with the cuttings every time. I can cut some of it from in the yard but a lot I end up cutting while standing down on the road. I knew that I was cutting some poison ivy in one spot but I actually thought I'd built up an immunity to it since the last few years I've only gotten very small splotches of it on my arms or hands. This time I just ended up with it on my chest and nowhere else ... yet. :D

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #13
Bluehost has gone downhill as well. My sites used to never go offline (unless there was server maintenance of some sort, which we were told about in advance). Now they go down on average 2-5 times a week for 10-30 mins at a time. During one period, they went down every day for a month. I contacted customer support and was told to do a traceroute and send them the info, which I did. It took them a week to respond, at which time they only said "Fixed it." Two days later, my sites went down again. I contacted them again and after 30 days (during which time the sites continued to go down), I received a message that "sites periodically go down on all servers" and I was welcome to look elsewhere for service.  :o Seriously?! I've been on BH for 5 years and have only had two issues that required contacting customer support. The first issue was several years ago and they were all over it, even offering me all sorts of services for free bc the issue was on their server (although they didn't mess up -- it was another customer on a shared server that was doing something and BH took action immediately and decisively). So I used to love BH and recommend them highly. Now they just kinda disgust me. 

Oh interesting. Since that negates the one positive report I'd read about an EIG property, I've now read nothing but bad things about each hosting company since being purchased by Endurance International Group. Wow, they actually suggested that you looked elsewhere for service? Unreal. That sounds about on par with the amazingly bad customer service I repeatedly dealt with for 2 months prior to sending emails up the chain at Endurance itself.

You may want to fire off an email to customer@endurance.com and see if they put you in touch with Bluehost's head of customer relations as they did with me re: Arvixe. I can't help but feel a little like he was just trying to placate me with talk of improving customer service back to what was once the standard there, but it worked for the time being. Hopefully action will follow his words.

Probably about the only hosting I've heard of from what you've mentioned is HostGator. But that really sucks that EIG is buying out a lot of them only to not be particularly reliable.
I'm glad to hear that you've finally been able to get in contact with someone willing and able to help you though.

As for the poison ivy, I was weed eating the steep slope of property in front of my house and I pretty much get rained on with the cuttings every time. I can cut some of it from in the yard but a lot I end up cutting while standing down on the road. I knew that I was cutting some poison ivy in one spot but I actually thought I'd built up an immunity to it since the last few years I've only gotten very small splotches of it on my arms or hands. This time I just ended up with it on my chest and nowhere else ... yet. :D

I'm glad I've been able to as well, I just hope it wasn't all talk on his part. As previously mentioned, I've already got another hosting provider selected and am ready to jump ship if things don't begin to improve soon.

Oh wow, I see. Is building immunity to it a thing? I didn't know that could happen. Then again, perhaps it can't, seeing as how it has affected you.  :P  Good luck trying not to spread it! I dare you to scratch it then play "head, shoulders, knees and toes". (evil grin)

Can I bum a sig?

Reply #14
I'm glad I've been able to as well, I just hope it wasn't all talk on his part. As previously mentioned, I've already got another hosting provider selected and am ready to jump ship if things don't begin to improve soon.

Oh wow, I see. Is building immunity to it a thing? I didn't know that could happen. Then again, perhaps it can't, seeing as how it has affected you.  :P  Good luck trying not to spread it! I dare you to scratch it then play "head, shoulders, knees and toes". (evil grin)

Good to have a a different place in mind though, just in case.

I don't actually know if I can build up an immunity to it. LOL It's just that I know I get into it every year and my actually getting blisters from it has lessened over the years. Okay, getting the blisters on my arms (where I usually get it) has lessened considerably.  :D Oh, I've kind of been rubbing at it through my shirt a bit. Trying not to actually touch it. My sister suggested Gold Bond powder so I poured some of that into my bra this morning. It helped!  ;)

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #15
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of Gold Bond. I think I've always heard calamine lotion is the solution, but now I don't remember for certain. Lol, well I hope it clears up quickly for you.

Can I bum a sig?

Reply #16
I got poison ivy on my arm way back in 2002. The only relief was letting warm water run over it in the shower. The steroids didn't help and the calamine didn't really help either. I try to stay as far away from nature as I possibly can now. Hard to do when I practically live in the woods, but I just hide in my house :)

Reply #17
Avoid nature?  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Just have a healthy respect for it and it will treat you well. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!
I write stories focused on strong women and the men they choose.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

Reply #18
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of Gold Bond. I think I've always heard calamine lotion is the solution, but now I don't remember for certain. Lol, well I hope it clears up quickly for you.

She said that the Gold Bond will help to dry up poison ivy. Surprisingly enough, it has helped a lot.

I got poison ivy on my arm way back in 2002. The only relief was letting warm water run over it in the shower. The steroids didn't help and the calamine didn't really help either. I try to stay as far away from nature as I possibly can now. Hard to do when I practically live in the woods, but I just hide in my house :)

Gah!! For me, the shower is THE WORST for my poison ivy. The warm water irritates it.

Avoid nature?  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o
Just have a healthy respect for it and it will treat you well. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

Yeah, unfortunately the yard won't take care of itself. :)
I wish it did though, I wouldn't have so many bruises then.

Reply #19
Also, just to update what I said in my first reply to this post, I did get booked for Outsiders for yesterday. Call time was 12pm and I didn't get signed out until midnight. There were five scenes filmed yesterday. I played a pedestrian for two of them and a driver for the other three. It was a fun day.  ;D