Skip to main content

News

Topic: Graphics (Read 183 times) previous topic - next topic

Graphics
Something I like to do is play around with Photoshop making graphics and such. Anyone else here like to dabble in that?

I used to frequent a message board company's message board, was even a moderator there for a time, and they had a board for graphic requests. I have done a ton of requests, some more challenging than others. But I'm no expert and I still have a lot to learn.

Since I developed an obsession with reading, I've tried my hand a few times at designing book covers and book graphics. I even had a design chosen by an author after she had a cover design contest on Facebook. So that was nice. :)

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Re: Graphics
Reply #1
I do, but not with Photoshop. I use paint.net which is a free software that's similar to Photoshop but with less of the bells and whistles that are unnecessary to me (although there are loads of plugins that can be downloaded to add more features to paint.net).

I'm far from mastering it, but I can get around in it okay. It's what I've used to make various graphics with that you see here, such as the title logo and putting together the ads for the promos and such.

I enjoy doing light projects like that and learning graphic design little by little that way.
Look what I can do with my sig.

This sig is so refreshing!

Can I bum a sig?

Other sig puns. Because it's a signature. Get it?

Reply #2
I'd used Paint Shop Pro for years before Photoshop.  A woman that I did some graphics work for gave me Photoshop and I haven't gone back to Paint Shop Pro since, except to do batch conversions on occasion.

I've never used Paint.net but I may just have to get it and play around with it a bit, see how it works. Looks like it works really well for you.

Reply #3
I always used Paint.net to play around with stuff. Now I used Photoshop Elements 11. It's kind of hard, so I don't do much with it. I have no idea how to "photoshop" photos. But I do use it to make teasers and book covers. I finally finished my cover for my debut. Now I have to finish writing it lol.

Reply #4
I always used Paint.net to play around with stuff. Now I used Photoshop Elements 11. It's kind of hard, so I don't do much with it. I have no idea how to "photoshop" photos. But I do use it to make teasers and book covers. I finally finished my cover for my debut. Now I have to finish writing it lol.

Nice! Would you be interested in showing us the cover or is that something you want to wait to do until the book is finished?

Reply #5
Back in 2008, before I developed my love of reading, I was asked to do a message board design for a book site. It was probably my most challenging design and one of my favorites. The forum hosting was Proboards and I was very familiar with it. Now though, they've changed so much I feel like I'm completely lost. Probably couldn't come up with a decent design for a Proboards forum even if I wanted to. At least, not without a lot of studying the new setup.

Sadly the forum seems to have been deleted, but I do have a couple print screens from the test board.

https://imgur.com/a/JBhBl

I'm learning real fast that I'm sorely out of practice with graphic making though.  :-[

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #6
I can't get the images to load on imgur for some reason, but I like the color scheme that I can see in the thumbnails, haha. I designed a website with that same color scheme back around 2002 or so.

I don't think I'm familiar with Proboards. This forum is built on a derivative of a software known as "Simple Machine Forum" (aka SMF), which is agreed on by many as the best/most powerful free forum software available. Of course, there are now several paid software options which can power forums with very impressive features, but they are billed monthly based on # of forum users and can become very expensive, very quickly.
  • Last Edit: Jun 26, 16, 08:54:13 PM by The Boss

Can I bum a sig?

Reply #7
I've uploaded the images to my hosting instead.
http://www.vanillaorchids.org/temp/booksnchat1.gif
http://www.vanillaorchids.org/temp/booksnchat2.gif

The woman who asked me to design it gave me an image of a personal library that she liked the color scheme of, so that's what I used to choose the colors from.

I have heard of Simple Machine before though I'm not familiar with running one like this. Probably because even though I had the option of installing forum software on my sites, I was more familiar with Proboards and liked how I could customize things with it. So I never really used any other.

Reply #8

Nice! Would you be interested in showing us the cover or is that something you want to wait to do until the book is finished?

I will for sure share the cover with you all, but it'll be closer to when I've got more of the book written. I've been on a writing kick the past two days, so I'm hoping that'll be sometime soon :)

Reply #9
These are a couple of my favorite book cover designs that I've done for contests. Didn't win for the Article 5 design. The Tiger's Dream design did place as a runner-up but sadly the book that I won for that must have gotten lost in the mail because I never received it.  :(
For the Tiger's Dream contest, we were provided with a PNG file that included the top corner decorations, the title and the author name to use in the design so that they went along with the rest of the books in the series.

Reply #10
Nice!
I write stories focused on strong women and the men they choose.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #11
@VanillaOrchids - Nice, Pam. So you like PS that much? It's always been too convoluted for the simple projects I've done.

@BreeLynnePotter - Why'd you stop using paint.net? I love that software and have gotten pretty good at doing what I want with it (ie the promo banners you've seen on here)

Can I bum a sig?

Reply #12
Nice!

Thank you.

@VanillaOrchids - Nice, Pam. So you like PS that much? It's always been too convoluted for the simple projects I've done.

Thanks. Yeah, I do like it. But I admit, I've only ever used Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. But once I started using Photoshop, I couldn't go back to Paint Shop Pro. Maybe if I'd have used other graphic programs, I might like another one better. Honestly though, my knowledge of the program is probably just at the basic level anyway.

Reply #13

@BreeLynnePotter - Why'd you stop using paint.net? I love that software and have gotten pretty good at doing what I want with it (ie the promo banners you've seen on here)
I got a new computer and just never downloaded it. I probably could, but I don't do much with graphics other than teasers and my covers.

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #14
Thanks. Yeah, I do like it. But I admit, I've only ever used Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. But once I started using Photoshop, I couldn't go back to Paint Shop Pro. Maybe if I'd have used other graphic programs, I might like another one better. Honestly though, my knowledge of the program is probably just at the basic level anyway.

I used Paint Shop Pro religiously around 14-15 years ago in my early days of building web sites. There weren't huge amounts of easily accessible templates like there are now, so you had to design things most graphics yourself. I don't miss those days at all. Actually, I used it prior to that even, when I learned Visual Basic (an old programming language) and had to design graphic user interfaces for little programs I'd write. Come to think of it, I don't remember why I ever stopped using PSP. Is it even still around? Anyway, I was so used to it that by the time I discovered Photoshop, it was nearly like trying to learn a new language, whereas, paint.net is fairly similar (from what I remember) to Paint Shop Pro.

I got a new computer and just never downloaded it. I probably could, but I don't do much with graphics other than teasers and my covers.

Haha, fair enough! I don't blame you. I hate that process of trying to download/install all of your software after getting a new computer.

Can I bum a sig?

Reply #15
I used Paint Shop Pro religiously around 14-15 years ago in my early days of building web sites. There weren't huge amounts of easily accessible templates like there are now, so you had to design things most graphics yourself. I don't miss those days at all. Actually, I used it prior to that even, when I learned Visual Basic (an old programming language) and had to design graphic user interfaces for little programs I'd write. Come to think of it, I don't remember why I ever stopped using PSP. Is it even still around? Anyway, I was so used to it that by the time I discovered Photoshop, it was nearly like trying to learn a new language, whereas, paint.net is fairly similar (from what I remember) to Paint Shop Pro.

I created my first website in 1997. At the time I was using whatever little graphics I could find from graphic sites but they just didn't have what I wanted. So I bought Paint Shop Pro. 
I think when I got Photoshop I was really intimidated by it but I went and read tutorials online for things that I needed to do. That helped greatly.
Oh, yes, Paint Shop Pro still exists. I admit that I'm curious what kind of improvements have been made to it, but I'll more than likely stick with Photoshop.

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #16
It was around '97 or '98 when I created my first website. I remember being all about WordArt in Microsoft Word, haha. I also definitely remember the days of struggling to find desired graphics. It's amazing how far the internet has come since then. Interesting that PSP is still around, what with how Photoshop has managed to dominate the market. I'm just so familiarized with paint.net at this point that there hasn't been a situation where I want to do something and haven't been able to find a way to do it, which is the important thing. I'm sure that's how you feel about Photoshop. I actually have Photoshop too, but I never use it. Paint.net covers my needs. Maybe one day I'll convert, but I don't see it being soon.  ;D

Can I bum a sig?

Reply #17
It was around '97 or '98 when I created my first website. I remember being all about WordArt in Microsoft Word, haha. I also definitely remember the days of struggling to find desired graphics. It's amazing how far the internet has come since then. Interesting that PSP is still around, what with how Photoshop has managed to dominate the market. I'm just so familiarized with paint.net at this point that there hasn't been a situation where I want to do something and haven't been able to find a way to do it, which is the important thing. I'm sure that's how you feel about Photoshop. I actually have Photoshop too, but I never use it. Paint.net covers my needs. Maybe one day I'll convert, but I don't see it being soon.  ;D

I doubt you'll convert. :) You like Paint.net, it does what you need ... that's all the matters really. I'd probably still be a Paint Shop Pro user had someone not given me Photoshop.

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #18
Haha I doubt I will too. Yes, that's very true.  :D

Can I bum a sig?