Skip to main content

News

Topic: Scrivener (Read 254 times) previous topic - next topic

• MiraDay
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator

Scrivener
Oh, Scrivener! How I love thee!

Seriously, love this program. I'm still a little new to it, though. Would love to really learn more tricks.

Anyone else use Scrivener and the magic it possesses?

Re: Scrivener
Reply #1
I love Scrivener! I use it solely to write my first draft and then transfer over to Word for editing and formatting. I'm a pantser and I write out of order so it's really helpful to keep all of my chapters separated. I also love how I can write little notes for each file so I know what those chapters are about. It helps keep me really organized. And when I finish a chapter I'll throw it into a folder I title "First Draft" so I can see what chapters still need to be finished and it won't be daunting to look at all of the chapters at once.
Author of the 🎵pop punk🎵 Marlowe series

• MiraDay
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator

Reply #2
Sounds like a good process to me, Alexandria!

I'm a pantser as well... which is why the organization of Scrivener helps.
  • Last Edit: May 11, 16, 12:49:38 PM by MiraDay

Reply #3
I go back and forth between Scrivener and Word. If I have a general idea about the story, I start in Scrivener b/c I love the organization capabilities. If I am brainstorming or free-writing, I go to Word. Editing -- always in Word. Then back to Scrivener for ebook publication (Word for print files). I also got Vellum recently, but I have yet to try it out. I plan to use it with a novella collection a group of us are working on because it's supposed to be a bit easier for formatting, graphics, etc.
I write stories focused on strong women and the men they choose.

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

• MiraDay
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator

Reply #4
I know you compile the file from Scrivener to Word but is there any way of going back that's simple?

Reply #5
I know you compile the file from Scrivener to Word but is there any way of going back that's simple?

Nope. Copy and paste individual chapters if a lot of edits have been made (if only a few, I do a search to find the text and make the changes).

Get Vibrant Heart, first in my Great Plains Romance series, free at your favorite e-book retailer

• MiraDay
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator

Reply #6

Nope. Copy and paste individual chapters if a lot of edits have been made (if only a few, I do a search to find the text and make the changes).

Thanks!

Reply #7
You're welcome (you were thanking me on the quote function tutorial, right? ;) )

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #8

I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about since I haven't used Scrivener, but I would presume if you make a copy of the Scrivener file that you're using before you compile to word then if you decide you want to go back, you can load the back up file to revisit the  version that isn't compiled yet. Would that not work?
Look what I can do with my sig.

This sig is so refreshing!

Can I bum a sig?

Other sig puns. Because it's a signature. Get it?

Reply #9
When you compile from Scrivener to Word, the original file stays in Scrivener and it exports (duplicates) the texts from the various chapters into a single Word file. So there is no need to create a backup file (for the reason you outlined) because the original file doesn't change, you just create a duplicate file in Word. But any changes you make in the Word file have to be made to the Scrivener file as well if you want to use the Scrivener file for formatting/publishing. The function Scrivener has to import text, etc., imports it all into one place (not the separate chapter files), so you would have to cut and paste the individual chapters back into the individual chapter files. Note: I work on Scrivener for PC, which doesn't have as many functions as the Mac version.

• The Boss
  • [*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator

Reply #10
Oh ok, I see what you're saying.
Look what I can do with my sig.

This sig is so refreshing!

Can I bum a sig?

Other sig puns. Because it's a signature. Get it?

Reply #11
I love Scrivener for the organization and full screen modes to block out time-wasters, but my biggest issue is exporting and importing issues I've experienced. Still working on learning how to do that right and easily. I love the character profile set up and how you can just move chapters at will. I'll be doing a short/very-basic/1/1000000th-of-what-there-is-to-learn presentation on Scrivener at my local RWA chapter in July. Little freaked out and any suggestions on what to include would be appreciated.
Love addict with a sarcastic pink glow. Martini connoisseur, fuzzy sock collector, baseball fanatic & pro-dandelion. And an author--I always forget that one.
http://www.julesdixon.com

Reply #12
For Mac & iPhone users WriteRoom is one of my best tools so far